In a “violent face-off” on Monday night with Chinese troops at Galwan Valley in Ladakh, an Indian colonel and two soldiers were killed, in a massive escalation at a time, efforts were being made to defuse weeks of tension at the border. India retaliated, and both sides suffered casualties, the army said. Sources in the army say the soldiers were not shot but killed in a physical struggle on Indian Territory involving stones and batons. According to an official statement, major Generals from both sides are currently meeting. This is the first violent incident between India and China involving fatalities since 1975, which fought a brief war on the border in 1962.
The ten developments in this story is
- The army statement said: “During the de-escalation process underway in the Galwan Valley, a violent face-off took place yesterday night with casualties on both sides. The loss of lives on the Indian side includes an officer and two soldiers. Senior military officials of the two sides are currently meeting at the venue to defuse the situation.”
- The Colonel was from a regiment of Bihar. There has been no shootout, say sources, on the Chinese side of the clashes that caused “significant casualties”. “There was no firing. No firearms were used. It was violent hand-to-hand scuffles,” the news agency Agence France Presse quoted an unnamed official as saying.
- So far the Chinese side’s only admission of casualties has come from the editor of their government mouthpiece Global Times. “Based on what I know, Chinese side also suffered casualties in the Galwan Valley physical clash. I want to tell the Indian side, don’t be arrogant and misread China’s restraint as being weak. China doesn’t want to have a clash with India, but we don’t fear it,” as tweeted by Hu Xijin, Editor-in-Chief of Global Times.
- Beijing, accused India of crossing the border, “attacking Chinese personnel” in an aggressive statement, AFP reported. Reuters has quoted China’s Foreign Ministry as saying that India should not take unilateral action or cause trouble.
- Worldwide Times cited their remote pastor as saying two Indian officers had “crossed into A chinese area twice on Monday in a genuine infringement of the accord arrived at before” between the two nations. “They incited and assaulted the Chinese side, prompting a serious physical fight. China has held up fights and portrayals to the Indian side,” said Chinese Foreign service representative Zhao Lijian. He likewise told columnists, as indicated by AFP, that Beijing has stopped “solid fights and grave portrayals” to Delhi.
- As indicated by sources in Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s office, his booked gathering with Chief Ministers by means of video conferencing on COVID-19 will be held as arranged. Safeguard Minister Rajnath Singh informed PM Modi on the circumstance at the fringe by means of video assemble after a conference with Chief of Defense Staff (CDS) General Bipin Rawat, the three military chiefs and External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar.
- For over about a month and a half presently warriors from the two sides have been occupied with a stalemate at any rate two areas along the Line of Actual Control – the 3,488 km accepted limit among India and China, and have hurried extra soldiers to the fringe. They have been confronting each other at the Galwan River, which was one of the early triggers of the 1962 India-China war, and at the contested Pangong Tso – a cold lake at 14,000 feet in the Tibetan level, parts of which are guaranteed by both.
- Following quite a while of go head to head remembering an episode for which watching fighters conflicted on the banks of Pangong Lake, bringing about wounds, grating facilitated following talks. Indian and Chinese military authorities had been in talks in the Galwan Valley region and Hot Springs.
- The Chinese Armed force had before pulled back its soldiers from the Galwan valley, PP-15 and Underground aquifers in Eastern Ladakh territory. The Indian side likewise brought back a portion of its soldiers and vehicles from these zones.
- China has been disturbed about the Indian development of streets and airfields in the territory. The administration has pushed for improving the network and by 2022, 66 key streets along the Chinese outskirts will have been fabricated. One of these streets is close to the Galwan valley that interfaces with Daulat Ask Oldi air base, which was introduced last October.