By Shubham Diwate
30 April, 2020
Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB PM-JAY) is a flagship scheme of the Indian government’s National Health Policy which aims to provide free health coverage at the secondary and tertiary level to its bottom 40% poor and vulnerable population. PM-JAY is the world’s largest and fully state sponsored health assurance scheme which covers a population of the combined size of USA, Mexico and Canada.
The Ayushman Bharat Diwas is celebrated across the country on April 30. On this occasion, let us acquaint ourselves with a few facts about the scheme:
- Ayushman Bharat Yojana also referred to as the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY) or National Health Protection Scheme or even the ModiCare is a scheme sponsored by the BJP central government.
- The scheme was originally launched in 2018, under the Ayushman Bharat Mission of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW).
- The Ayushman Bharat programme aims at providing easily available and affordable medical facilities to the most remote parts of the country. This scheme majorly aims at the families belonging to the poor population.
- This intervention is done with the aid of its two major health initiatives namely, Health and Wellness centres and National Health Protection Scheme (NHPS).
- NHPS provides a defined benefit cover of Rs. five lakh per family per year. This cover will take care of almost all secondary care and most of tertiary care procedures. The benefit cover will also include pre and post-hospitalisation expenses.
So far, 25 States and Union Territories have adopted the PM-JAY scheme, except three states: Odisha, West Bengal and Telangana, and Union territory Delhi. By February 2020, more than 12 crore e-cards have been generated and over 86 lakh people have taken benefit under this scheme. The number of public and private hospitals empanelled nationwide stands at 22,000.
How to apply online for Ayushman Bharat Yojana?
Here is a step by step guide how you can apply for Ayushman Bharat Yojana.
Step 1: Visit Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana official website, mera.pmjay.gov.in.
Step 2: Now you have to log on to the government website.
Step 3: On the home page enter your mobile number.
Step 4: Just below that you will see the captcha, enter the captcha in the empty box.
Step 5: After that click on Generate OTP option.
Step 6: An OTP number will be sent to your mobile, by which you can go to the website and verify.
Complete the necessary detail to get the most benefits out of this scheme.
- Fake medical bills (media reports of misuse of the Ayushman Bharat scheme by unscrupulous private hospitals through submission of fake medical bills at least 697 fake cases in Uttarakhand State alone, where fine of Rs ONE crore has been imposed on hospitals for frauds under the Scheme).
- Cost of diagnosis and diagnostics
- Enhancing quality and security of data,
- Reducing infection rates at hospitals,
- Building and maximising capacities of health workforce,
- Developing robust
- Real-time fraud detection systems
We need to take two steps more in order to have access and to deliver basic and advance medical facilities too. As we know, Every year more than 6 crore Indians are pushed into poverty because of catastrophic out of pocket medical expenses.
Official Website: https://www.pmjay.gov.in/
Toll Free Call Center Number- 14555/ 1800111565